Chicago area construction workers face risks on the job daily. According to the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupation Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), almost 6.5 million people work at roughly 252,000 construction sites across the country every day. The fatal injury rate for the construction industry is higher than the national average in this category than for all other trades.
Common hazards involving construction accidents include the following:
- Long distance falls
- Trench or scaffolding collapses
- Electric shock
- Failure to use safety equipment
- Repetitive motion injuries
Ladder injuries are the most common injuring an estimated 24,882 people per year. In Illinois, construction accidents can affect anyone from those working on small-town residential construction site to those working Chicago high rise jobs.
Construction Safety in Suburban Illinois
Recently, a construction accident claimed the life of 59-year-old Marco Aguilar. It was reported by the Chicago Sun-Times that Aguilar was killed when he was struck by a Bobcat in Union, Illinois, located in McHenry County. The risks of Personal injury accidents in residential or city areas can be minimized with preventative checks in these common construction situations:
- Scaffolding: Must be rigid and sufficient enough to carry its own weight and four times the maximum intended load
- Falling: Guardrail systems with toe boards and warning lines, as well as safety nets or body harnesses
- Ladders: Visual inspection for structural damage, bent rails, missing rungs, grease or other contaminants that could cause slips and falls
- Trenching: Correct slope for the a height/depth ratio and install supports for trenches that exceed 20 feet in depth
- Electrical: Safety gear such as the insulated gloves and sleeves and a hard hat can offer protection, but equipment should also be grounded and materials should be least 10 feet away from electrical power lines
If you have been injured in an Illinois construction accident, contact an Arlington Heights personal injury attorney at Drost, Gilbert, Andrew & Apicella, LLC. DGAA has successfully represented those seriously injured in construction accidents or other unfortunate personal injury claims. We serve clients in Chicago, Crystal Lake, Schaumburg, Palatine, Des Plaines and many other Northwest Suburban areas.